Monday, December 25, 2006

10 Ways To Fight Stress

Stress is like an avalanche. It starts with little things and then pulls with it the bigger ones. When facing big challenges people try to do them right and in time. Little thins are those that finish us off. When we allow them to...

Main problem is the feeling then life is becoming too complicated, with too much obligations, unpaid bills, broken appliances. Not to mention the cars.

You can't cope with that. There is a way, just be persistent.

1. Make a list: I've made a list of upcoming private and business obligations. For example: visit a doctor, get a car fixed, meetings, e-mails... I've unloaded my brain and became concentrated on other things.
2. Group your obligations: I've grouped my obligations by listing all items connected to an obligation. For instance- shopping: I've made separate lists of groceries, beverages and house cleaning stuff. It's easier to find your way around the store that way. You won't forget anything and you'll finish shopping earlier.

3. Priorities: It's easy to say: "Make plans." It's harder to execute. For me, the first priorities are things that make our life easier and more comfortable. Paying bills for utilities, Internet, schooling... Without paying these I'll have a hard time to complete other obligations.

4. Electronic planner: Electronic planners are handy because they don't occupy a lot of space. All information is in one place and I always have a nice overview of things. It was a fun toy at the beginning and later became a habit. Useful habit.

5. Don't waste your strength on small things: I told you that the little things are the ones that start an avalanche. How many times small tings made you crazy. For example, everything is just fine, your guests are almost here but a light bulb in hallway is out of order; or noisy laundry machine; or used up remote control batteries... I have a rule to do at least one thing from the main list (look at item 1.)

6. Don't just fuss over broken things: Out of order things are the source of stress. Instead of getting nervous I try to fix broken things or call the handyman. It's cheaper then headache pills.

7. Distribute responsibilities: I've distributed responsibilities among my family members. That way I don't need to work all day long. Husband and kids can help a lot when needed. I've reduced my stress level, others were useful and we completed our tasks in time. This can be a model for companies, too.

8. Say "No": I've learned to say "No!" It was hard at the beginning, but... it's much easier now. Why should I do something that is not my responsibility? Collecting toys, preparing books for school... it's not my business. Everyone has to know their duties.

9. Don't hold off things for tomorrow: I've tried the famous excuse - I'll do it tomorrow, I don't feel like doing anything now. Then I realized it's not working that way. Chores started to pile up, my consciousness went wild and stress began to mount. I started working under pressure.
Then I changed my approach. I started to implement previous eight tips. In the beginning, I didn't manage to complete everything on the list (because there were too many) but I didn't panic. Step by step, things went to normal.

10. Think positive: I've learned to face difficult challenges and to get valuable experience out of them. It's not a big deal to do just one thing. Big deal is to accommodate all duties.

All in all, you can always go out with friends. It always helps!

URL: http://blogi-dijana.blogspot.com/2006/12/10-ways-to-fight-stress.html

No comments: